When Alice fell down the rabbit hole and went to Wonderland she encountered playing cards protecting the Queen of Hearts and doing her bidding. When Alice had a heated exchange with the Queen, the cards begin to attack her. “You are nothing but a pack of cards,” Alice chides them to let them know that they can't hurt her.
In order for Alice to be comfortable in our Quilt Land we want to welcome her with our own renditions of a full deck of cards that are softly quilted. We are soliciting our guild members in the form of a challenge to make a full deck of cards.
Here are our “Quilting with a Full Deck” guidelines:
Make a small quilt 18" wide by 28" high with rounded corners
(the proportions for a playing card)
- The card suit and numbers need to be visible on the front of the card
- Express the meaning of your inspiration in the content of the quilt
- Any technique, quilting or binding application is acceptable
- A 4” hanging sleeve must be attached to the back
- Name and contact information of the quilt maker needs to be attached to the quilt back
- Please include a short bio of the quilter with the reason the card was selected
- Deadline September 15, 2020
The quilts can be brought to the first day of quilt festival or mailed to:
9187 Silver Lake Dr.
Cedar Hills, UT 84062
with a $5 entry fee
Would you be willing to have your quilt in a traveling show for one year?
If so, please contact Liz Teerlink at 801-224-8038 (h), 801-400-8581 (c), or firstname.lastname@example.org (e) to choose a card. A form will be sent to your email address which needs to be completed. The form, along with a $5 fee for each card selected needs to be sent to Liz. Make checks out to Utah Quilt Guild.
Make your choices quickly, they will go fast!
We need 54 members to commit to this project for a Full Deck. There are 52 playing cards and 2 jokers. We still need the following cards to be selected:
Hearts -2, 6, 10
Diamonds - Ace, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8
Spades - 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9
Clubs - 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10
Let your imagination run wild, after all you will be in Quilt Land!
There will be a viewer's choice voting for the challenge with prizes of $50 for first place, $35 for second place and $25 for third place.